Going Green in Springfield!
Springfield is home to a unique 'green' initiative: New Pioneers for a Sustainable Future, Inc. With offices located in Springfield City Hall, New Pioneers is a community-based, non-profit organization that promotes sustainable thinking and sustainable development in rural central Kentucky.
In its three year history, community sustainability efforts initiated by New Pioneers include:
- Curbside pickup recycling - Visit their Web site for a list of approved recycables.
- 20-year county visioning process
- Energy reduction campaign at St. Catharine College
- Community Earth Day celebrations
- Growth Readiness Pilot Project
- Annual Sustainability Scholarship for WCHS
- Sustainable communities study groups for local leaders
- Global climate change education
- Water quality education
- 'Smart growth' and farmland preservation workshops
- Sustainable agriculture initiatives
- Entrepreneurship education
- Lunchtime learning
- Farmer's Market at the Depot in downtown Springfield
- Sustainability columns in the Springfield Sun
- Quarterly New Pioneers newsletter distributed to over 1200 local families